The May Watts PTA Bylaws contains the process by which officers are nominated and elected. This method is outlined and required by the National PTA.
- Each January, a nominating committee is created at the general meeting. This committee is responsible for presenting a slate of nominees for president, 1st vice president, 2nd vice president, treasurer, and secretary. The nominating committee consists of five members, three of whom shall be elected by the executive board from its body, and two elected by this organization at a regular meeting. There is also one alternate elected by the executive board and one from the general membership. The committee chooses its own chairman.
- The nominating committee meets and reviews nomination submissions, discusses possible nominees, contacts PTA members who may be interested, etc, until they have a nominee for each office.
- This slate must be posted at least 30 days prior to the April general meeting, at which the election takes place. At the April general meeting, any PTA member who would like to be elected to one of the offices can be nominated from the floor. In that case, a vote would be conducted to determine who would be elected to the office(s).
- To be considered for office, the nominee must consent to being nominated and must have been a member of the May Watts PTA or Prairie Children Preschool PTA for at least 30 days.
- If there is more than one candidate and a vote occurs, you must have been a member of the May Watts PTA for at least 30 days to vote.
- Each officer is elected to a one-year term and can be nominated for no more than two consecutive terms in the same office.
- The new officers are installed at the May general meeting.
Here is the Nomination Form